I'm not here to discuss why the show is amazing. I'm here to address why people love and hate Olivia Pope.
Ok, here's an overview of the show. Olivia Pope, played by Kerry Washington (loosely based on a real person: Judy Smith) is an African American woman and crisis management professional based in Washington D.C, she is a political advisor, confidant to & mistress of caucasian President Fitzgerald "Fitz" Grant (long story short, watch the damn show).
Now, if you're still reading this, you might be thinking... "Why don't people like Olivia?", if you watch the show, you might be thinking... "Why don't people like Olivia?", if you're a woman married to or in a relationship with a man who has a wandering eye, or a man who happens to slip and fall into the vaginas of other women, you might be thinking... "I cant stand that bitch!"
Why the shift? Olivia Pope is someone I like to refer to as a "conflicted protagonist". Why?
Olivia Pope is resourceful, intelligent, articulate, beautiful, powerful & weak to the touch of "Fitz". What's the problem? The problem is that women watching the show, struggle to respect Olivia, the professional, without judging Olivia, the mistress.
As a society, we love to hate certain characters. Shonda Rhimes wrote the story of a character so captivating that we all fell in love with Olivia, we respected her, we admired her, we tweeted about her hairweaves, fashion and snapped at the television when she said something that bordered "bitchy" but was delivered beautifully.
Flash forward and she's sneaking around the White House, being felt up in the oval office by a very married President Fitzgerald. We love whores, we hate whores, they're beautiful, they're opportunists who can't capitalize off of anything but their beauty. WE, are conflicted. We love and hate Kim Kardashian, Marilyn Monroe, Alicia Keys, Leann Rimes & Monica Lewinsky. Aaah, Monica Lewinsky, someone Olivia Pope might be able to relate to.
Why do women hate Olivia Pope? Is it because she's the Black mistress of a
(Here's a picture of myself & my dad with Kerry when she did a play "Race" in NYC in 2010)
Sound off: What are your thoughts? Are you a fan of the show? Are you a fan of Olivia's?


Love this article.its so true and touches on every angle of the love hate relationship we have with Olivia Pope. I love her BTW...mistress and all. lol
ReplyDeleteEloquently Scribed.
ReplyDeleteThank you for reading.
Deleteand thank you for the compliment.
Great article! I actually love Olivia Pope. I love that she's human. I love that she's successful yet perfectly flawed like so many of us. What I do hate is the reaction I see to Olivia Pope and her "situation" with the president. I hate the fact that most people are oogling this relationship as if it were some beautiful love story worthy of envy and praise. Not many people are shunning them for what is, in my opinion, disgraceful and selfish; especially as self-appointed servants of the country. I know it's just a show but the reaction says a lot about the declining morals of our country and its inhabitants. Love the show though! Shonda is a beast!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading & commenting.
DeleteCocktailJay, I think there is a bit of cognitive dissonance when it comes to our love/hate relationship with Olivia Pope. Professionally, we'd follow in her every footstep, Personally, we'd cause her bodily harm if she crossed our path...lol
You're right, the relationship is glorified & many women, unfortunately, identify because they can relate to being the "sidechick".
That is why it's called.....SCANDAL.... Lol love this article Barhynn u are a great writer!
ReplyDeleteThank you for reading, commenting & supporting. :)
DeleteMy sentiments exactly, @CocktailJay. That is my only issue with Olivia Pope, I can't stand that everyone glorifies her relationship with the president. I hear people saying it's okay because his wife is aware of what is going on or it's okay because they are in love. It is never okay to be the side chick, especially when you are aware that the person you're involved with is married. People claim to hate infidelity but suddenly on Thursday(or whenever the show comes on) they are okay with it.
ReplyDelete