If you're not someone who is familiar or engulfed in Hip Hop culture, allow me to school you really quick. (Feel free to take notes).
The phrase "Ride or Die Chick" (also known as a "Down Ass Bitch"-thanks Ja Rule) was coined by 1990's hip-hop crew The Ruff Ryders, spearheaded by rapper DMX. A "Ride or Die Chick" is a woman who sticks with her man through all circumstances, she's his biggest fan when he's doing well and she's his confidant when he's down and out. A "Ride or Die Chick" will commit a crime with/for you, bail you out of jail, write your resume, get into physical altercations with you as well as on your behalf. A "Ride or Die Chick" is the modern day Bonnie to your Clyde. (Think of every rap song with an R&B singer in between 1990-forever)
The "Ride or Die Chick" ideology is not exclusive to urban culture. Here are a list of women who one might consider a "Ride or Die Chick":
- Hillary Clinton (because Bill did have sexual relations with Monica Lewinsky)
- Tasheera Simmons (Ex-wife of rapper DMX)
- Vanessa Bryant (she didn't have to be with Kobe shooting in the gym)
- Olivia Pope (If you watch Scandal, I dont have to tell you why, if you dont watch Scandal...you're the only one.)
I'm here to ask, when does the "Ride or Die Chick" determine whether she's "riding" or "dying"? What do I mean? I mean, when is it okay to "die" aka walk away from the man you've been there for? I've seen women go to jail, beaten within an inch of their life, homeless and whoring themselves out for men all because they were his "Ride or Die". How much of yourself, your heart, your sanity do you have to sacrifice in order to prove to yourself, a man... the world that you're loyal?
My personal experience with being a "Ride or Die Chick" has landed me in hot water on more than one occasion. When I was a teenager, I was the "Ride or Die" for a well known gang member in my neighborhood, my loyalty to him got me jumped, guns pulled on me, chased by vicious dogs and a rival gang member even spit in my face. As i grew older, my loyalty shifted from putting myself in physical danger, to endangering my emotional well-being. I dated and stayed with men who were emotionally unavailable, even emotionally abusive just to prove I was a "Ride or Die Chick".
Ladies, where do you draw the line? Is being a "Ride or Die Chick" something to be glorified or put to the side? Sound off! What are your thoughts?

I'm as loyal as they come but not for people who would willingly put me in danger. I'm not standing by someone selling drugs who I know will end up in jail. That's just not me. I don't want anyone bringing me down so I'm not riding for that. If you need help in school and trying to further your career like I am then I am definitely riding.
ReplyDeleteExactly!
ReplyDeleteThats why I made sure to discuss the fact that the "Ride or Die Chick" ideology transcends cultures.
Theres the drug dealers wifey who gets locked up for him & then theres the first lady who stands by her man.
Admirable if youre supporting a man to maximize his potential, dangerous if you're perpetuating a cycle of violence & degradation.
Thanks for your input Mary & thank you for subscribing.
Thanks for this post, too many people have it all wrong when it comes to what they should be riding and dying for. I ride for my man through the good times and the bad times, when he lost his job, I was right there by his side trying to motivate him and lift him up. When he is down, he can count on me to be there to help him through it etc. That is what riding with someone should mean, not all this other foolish things that people do. I will not be helping you with any illegal activities, if you are about that life and you get caught up in some mess ie jail, please don't expect me to ride or die with you. You summed it up perfectly "Admirable if youre supporting a man to maximize his potential, dangerous if you're perpetuating a cycle of violence & degradation."
ReplyDelete